Many books have been written about what leadership is – but what is it from a followers perspective?
This is what respondents reply when asked to list the characteristics of leaders they admire:
- Has a clear vision of how people’s work meets the leader’s expectations.
- Provides timely, clear, constructive feedback.
- Expresses appreciation and gives credit where credit is due.
- Actively listens and answers questions.
- Treats others with respect and kindness.
- Consistently fair in their treatment of others.
- Trains, develops, and grows their people.
- Willing to jump in and help out when things become difficult.
- Has an open door policy and is available.
- Supportive and protective of their people when things go wrong.
Source: SmartBlog on Leadership
So, all you need to do now, is rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 according to how well you doing on each of those points – and if you are honest with yourself you will have a very practical and workable t-do list on what needs working on.
If you are courageous you could even ask one or two close collaborators that are not afraid to give you honest replies to review the evaluation you made of yourself and give you some honest feedback.